There are many ways to volunteer at the Chicago Architecture Foundation, as we rely heavily on our volunteer staff to promote our mission of inspiring people to discover why design matters. Whether it’s conducting a tour, greeting visitors, working with students or describing our exhibits, our volunteers are a vital part of our work. In return for your dedication and hard work, CAF provides many benefits and opportunities.
- New and lasting friendships
- Gift shop discounts
- Timely updates about architecture in Chicago and around the world
- CAF Memberships
- Helpful colleagues
- Flexible scheduling
- Continuing education opportunities
- Engaging with local, national and international visitors
Who Are Our Volunteers
Our 400 + volunteers are passionate about Chicago’s architecture and history. They are committed to CAF to create extraordinary experiences for our visitors. If you enjoy talking to people about architecture and the city of Chicago – this is a tailored-made volunteer opportunity for you.
Our Visitor Experience Volunteers are our guest facing volunteers and a welcoming presence to the Chicago Architecture Foundation. They volunteer at our Box Office greeting guests and assisting them as they begin their tours or they can be found at our exhibits and Design Studio providing an overview and direction for visitors.
CAF Mentors are volunteers who work with students of all ages from our family programs to our teen studios.
Docents conduct public tours and interpret the architecture in Chicago’s downtown, neighborhoods and suburbs.
In support of CAF's mission, trustees, staff, docents and volunteers are expected to:
1. Focus and align effort with CAF’s mission, vision and objectives.
2. Be guest-centered in planning and implementation
3. Provide quality and be passionate in everything we deliver.
4. Trust that each person is contributing to the best interests of CAF.