Celebrate National Engineers Week with our annual Engineering Fest on February 24 and 25. Drop in any time between 10am—3pm to explore Chicago's tallest skyscrapers through FREE activities for ages 5–12. Join more than 1,500 visitors for a weekend full of family-friendly engineering explorations.
Chicago is known for its iconic skyline and many agree that our city invented the skyscraper! Learn from an expert about different types of structures that keep our buildings standing tall, then build your own! At Engineering Fest, the whole family can test out engineering solutions with mixed-media materials.
What can I do at Engineering Fest?
- Meet an engineer: Meet design professionals and learn how they design tall and strong skyscrapers.
- Engineering Lab: Discover the structures inside skyscrapers that keep them tall and strong. Build your own and test their strength.
- Photo booth: Take a photo in our skyscraper-themed photo booth! Use fun props and share the photos with your friends on social media.
- Design challenge: Can you build the tallest tower using only paper and tape? Build and measure your own super-tall skyscraper to take home or add to our collaborative city.
- Mini-tour: Bundle up! Join us for a mini-tour outside where we'll learn how to "read" a building.
Where are you located?
Engineering Fest is located at 224 S. Michigan Ave. on the first floor of the historic Railway Exchange Building. Activities will take place in several areas on the first floor, including the ArcelorMittal Design Studio, Lecture Hall, Morse Learning Studio and the atrium where our Chicago Model is located.
How do I get there?
CAF is easily accessible via all CTA lines. If you are taking the Red or Blue Line, we are east of the Jackson stop. If you are taking the Pink, Brown, Orange or Green Line, get off at Adams and Wabash and walk to Michigan Avenue. There are many parking garages within 1–2 blocks of CAF, including Millennium Park Garage South.
The beauty is in the details! We’ll visit Harold Washington Library to examine its details and decode…
What makes a building strong? Touch materials like steel and concrete, then design your own house to…
Visit the ArcelorMittal Design Studio @ CAF on Monday, Thursday, Friday and occasional weekends from…
Join us from 12-3pm in our ArcelorMittal Design Studio to work with architects, designers and professional…