Our annual Engineering Fest is back in person this year! Join us for a day of discovery, as children ages 8-14 are invited to build and learn, view two floors of exhibits, meet engineers and explore how architecture and engineering partner to create the cities we know and love. This festival is free for all attendees.
The theme for this year’s festival is “Access to Experts.” Over the course of the day, explore the multiple avenues of the engineering profession through interactive stations and activities, including:
- E-Fest youth tour: Take a quick tour around the block and learn about the systems that help people move about the city. Stops include and are not limited to: the first skyscrapers, bridges and trains as well as the world’s largest Tiffany Dome!
- Photo station: Say "cheese" at our themed photo booth station!
- Create your own elevated train: Did you know that an empty CTA car weighs 57,000 pounds? Learn about the strong structures that hold up our elevated trains before creating your own.
- Build and test an elevator: Elevators are crucial to the development of the skyscraper. Learn about this innovation, then build and test your own.
- Expert Station: Participants will receive feedback on their designs from experts in the field and learn about the variety of careers that help a city GO!
All this and more is awaiting children ages 8-14 at CAC's 2022 Engineering Fest!
Safety Guidelines: Effective Friday, August 20, the Chicago Department of Public Health requires that everyone ages 2 years and older wear masks in public, indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status. This includes in our Center, anytime a walking tour goes indoors and in the enclosed salon area onboard the vessels of Chicago’s First Lady Cruises.