Explore a church turned Buddhist temple, a Benedictine monastery turned bed & breakfast and several other houses of worship in Bridgeport. This tour has six stops that cover a variety of architectural styles from the late 19th Century and early 20th Century.
Trace the history of Chicago’s immigrant groups in the Bridgeport neighborhood, once considered so far removed from the city that it was a “suburb” based along 31st Street. As church parishes grew to serve newcomers from Ireland, Germany, Poland, Bohemia and Lithuania, notable Chicago architects were commissioned to design houses of worship in styles that would remind them of home.
The sacred spaces featured on this year’s tour are:
- Saint Barbara Roman Catholic Church. 1910, Worthmann & Steinbach. Rennaisance style.
- St. Mary of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church. 1892, Joseph Engelbert. Romanesque style.
- Monastery of the Holy Cross (formerly Immaculate Conception Church). 1909, Hermann Gaul & Albert Fischer. Gothic style.
- First Lutheran Church of the Trinity. 1913, Worthmann & Steinbach. Gothic style.
- All Saints - St. Anthony Roman Catholic Church. 1915, Henry Schlacks. Romanesque style.
- Ling Shen Ching Tze Buddhist Temple (formerly Emmanuel Presbyterian Church). 1894, Burnham & Root. Romanesque style.
Note: Attendees are encouraged to bring a sack lunch and drink to have while on the tour.
Get on the bus!
From March to November, CAF is offering several one-time-only bus tours! Explore different architecture topics throughout Chicagoland and save up to 40% off the public price when you book multiple tours in the series. These tours are expected to sell out quickly, so purchase your tickets today! For a list of all the tours included in this offer, visit architecture.org/bus2018.
$50 public / $42 members
Buy two tickets to multiple tours and save 20% on the public price
Buy 3 or 4 tickets to multiple tours and save 25% on the public price
Buy 5 or more tickets to multiple tours and save 40% on the public price
Discount will automatically apply when tickets are added to the cart.
Discover the exciting diversity of Chicago architecture on this wide-ranging odyssey, which traces the…
Follow Frank Lloyd Wright's career from 1899 to 1913, when his designs changed the face of the American…
Discover the art, architecture and history of Chinatown on this 90-minute walk, which includes stops…