Explore the ways architecture and design impact you every day! This five-day program introduces design thinking to young learners ages 6-12 through fun, interactive lessons, with support from CAC education staff.
Thank you for your interest in our very first CAC For the Family: Design Club! Registration is at capacity. Sign up to receive our weekly e-newsletter and be one of the first to hear about programs like this in the future!
Join us for this weeklong program that introduces architecture and design using items generally found at home. Discover the Design Process and practice using it to imagine a new corner of your own city and to design a new living space for the people around you. Participants will be invited to share their ideas and tell us what livable spaces look like to them. A series of hands-on building activities will bring your designs to life!
Participants will receive daily emails from CAC education staff containing each day’s lessons, videos and resources. Staff will be available to provide support to participants throughout the week via email.
Here’s what you can expect:
Day 1: How Buildings Work
Have you ever wondered, “How do buildings stand up?” Learn the basics of architectural engineering and understand the difference between load-bearing and skeleton-frame structures.
Day 2: Building Styles
Buildings come in all shapes, sizes, and styles. Explore some iconic styles found in the Chicago skyline and decide what style your building will be.
Day 3: Architecture in Three Dimensions
Translate your building sketches to three-dimensional forms.
Day 4: Ornamentation
Learn about different materials used and decide what ornamentation you want to use on your structure!
Day 5: Beyond Buildings
Think creatively about the context of your building and how it interacts with its environment.
- This program is free with registration. Registrants will receive daily emails containing all resources needed for the following day’s lessons.
- Activities are entirely self-guided with pre-recorded videos and resources available to participants. CAC education staff will be available for feedback and assistance 10am to 2pm, Monday, May 11 through Friday, May 15.
- An email will be sent ahead of time with a materials list. Materials needed for the daily activities can generally be found around the house.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- All lessons will be available at architecture.org/learn when the program concludes for you to participate at your own pace.
Design Club is part of our CAC For the Family offerings, which include design challenges, digital engagement with Girls Build! program participants, and three weekly video series, including “Storytime with the CAC” broadcast live each Friday at 12:30pm Central Time via Facebook Live, and available afterward via CAC@Home and the CAC’s YouTube channel.