Design Dialogues: Zoned in on Industry
Where will you work in Chicago?
Over the years, the city of Chicago has introduced a highly complex zoning ordinance called Planned Manufacturing Districts (PMDs), with aim to protect some of our city's organically formed centers for heavy industry. Now more than ever, architects and planners are taking it upon themselves to determine what the future of our city's PMDs could be to deliver the most value to Chicagoans. With unprecedented opportunity to redesign a 20th century city for the 21st century and beyond, where will the next great economic engines in Chicago be located? We look in-depth at two bold proposals for the future of the West Loop and Goose Island.
- Moderator: Melissa Harris, Business Columnist, Chicago Tribune
- Christopher Marcinkoski, Design Director, PORT Urbanism
- Brad Lynch, Principal, Brininstool + Lynch
- Bennet Haller, Director, Urban Design and Planning at the City of Chicago
- Vishaan Chakrabarti, Principal, SHoP Architects
AIA Credit: 1
Join us for our monthly series exploring the latest issues and projects affecting Chicago.
Design Dialogues: Changing the Outcomes
School Design Principles for the Next Generation.
Design Dialogues: Tick Tick Boom
How will the coming explosion of retiring Baby Boomers affect Chicago?
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
Partner Event—The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London